October 9, 2013

Baby Shrugs

After not blogging for more than a year, you might think I would have finished a few of the projects in my Works in Progress list in the sidebar. The grand total is...1. And I haven't taken a picture of it yet. Instead, here are 2 projects from this year. I knit 2 baby shrugs from the same pattern, with different yarns. Sorry for the poor lighting in the pictures; I tend to finish gifts after midnight, hours before I need to give it to the recipient. The pattern is simply titled 'Baby Shrug'. Ravelry has links to publications in which the pattern can be found.

The first was made with Bernat Satin, colorway Faded Glory. Ravelry has it listed as an Aran/10 ply yarn. After knitting 3 or so inches, I realized that it was looking Christmas-y. My solution was to use a different color for the edging. I used Hobby Lobby's 'I Love This Yarn' in #160 Brown. Although Ravelry lists it as a DK/8 Ply and Hobby Lobby labels it sport weight, it was a similar thickness to the Bernat yarn.

I made the 3-6 month size; the baby was one month old when I gave it to her, and it was on the small side. She was able to get a few months use out of it. The closeup picture has slightly truer colors. 


For the second shrug, I used Bernat's Mosaic yarn, colorway Daydream. Ravelry lists this as an Aran/10 ply. Although it is in the same weight category (on Ravelry) as the Bernat, it seems a bit thicker. It also looks, feels and knits very much like wool, despite being 100% acrylic.


Since the baby was born in Summer, I wanted this to fit in the Fall and Winter. Keeping in mind my previous experience, I made the 9-12 month size, instead of the 6-9 month size. I haven't heard yet if/how it fits, although she should be big enough to wear it fairly soon.
Other than the size issues, I have not had much difficulty with this pattern. In, fact, this pattern and the Tulips pattern may become my go-to baby sweaters.

No comments: